Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Countdown

My wife is counting down until next weekend when she gets to go to a Beth Moore conference, spending the night in a hotel and so spend 24 hours away from home and kids.

She's counting down with excitement and anticipation. I, on the other hand, am not sharing those same feelings. Mine lean more toward anxiety and terror (ok, maybe just apprehension).

With her gone, that means that I'm responsible for the kids, for 24 WHOLE hours - that's one whole day. GULP! I've done it for several hours before, but never a whole day.

Stephanie is trying to get things prepared, like buying frozen dinners so that I don't have to really cook. My culinary skills are somewhat limited, mostly to breakfast items.

How will I entertain them for that period of time? Thank goodness there's a whole night thrown in there so I have some built in recuperation time. What if something unusual happens, such as an acorn stuck up the nose? How will I handle that? Is there a daddy help line I can call? I'm guessing that my wife is not going to be turning the cell phone on.

My daddy skills will be tested. My goal is to come through with only a few bumps and bruises among us but not to come through with flying colors. If I do too good, then Stephanie will plan more of these overnighters and will probably start to stretch the time envelope. No sense in shooting myself in the foot by being a star performer. Mediocre is the way to go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! This is Christie who used to live in North Attleboro before flying south! :)

I say give it 100% when Stephanie's gone and then maybe you'll both have SUCH a great time that you'll both unanimously decide she should go to Ky next time!!!! Ky where I have two sisters...That way I could come over and meet up with the girls! :)

Seriously, I popped over to your blog today to try to find that post where you posted about the percentage of people who don't have cable and to find the date when you won't be able to have TV unless you have some kind of cable or whatever. Todd and I just discussed nixing the Dish Network. We have the basic basic...because in our area even with "rabbit ears" it's hard to get non-fuzzy TV. Our lot backs up to woods...before development this area was extremely rural. We just got a better antennae though so we were going to give it a go without Dish or anything.

Todd and I recently read your blog. He laughed about your post about losing a child in the park. :) He could relate about the mowing the grass thing, too. After reading this post about shooting yourself in the foot by being a star performer, I may purposefully forget to point him back in this direction! :) No, really, we've enjoyed reading both of your blogs from time to time to keep up with you guys and the happenings up there. :)

Tech Daddy said...

Thanks for leaving a comment Christie. You are the official first place holder of the longest comment on my blog. Congratulations.

You know, of course, that I would never really give mediocre care to my children - so let Todd read the blog.

Stephanie has already begun the campaign to go to the Kentucky conference next year. And I know Amy's all for it too. We'll see what next year brings.

Unknown said...

Coming over here from Stephanie's blog:

It's great that you are doing this. Good for her and good for you and the kids. I hope you end up enjoying yourself as much as she does.