Thursday, August 30, 2007

Are You Kidding?

Tonight I took the kids to the park on a play date with another dad and his kids. It was dark as we headed home. One four-door sedan passed me on the Interstate and I noticed that there were no less then four LCD screens in the vehicle, all on. That's right - FOUR! Think about it. A four-door sedan with four LCD screens. That means there was one on the back of each of the front seats and one on each of the sun visors, including the driver's!

Talk about being distracted. I'm annoyed by drivers who talk on the cell phone, but this is beyond ridiculous. I hope it's illegal. If not, it should be. I don't know how you can give the appropriate amount of attention to the road and the ever changing vehicular environment on an Interstate, while watching a DVD on a screen less than a foot from your face. Based on the driver's silhouette against the LCD screen on their visor, it appeared that they were positioned leaning toward the center console so that they could keep one eye on the road and one on the screen.

I wanted to yell, "ARE YOU INSANE!?", but thought better of it with the kids in the back. Without a doubt, that would surely elicit many, many questions from Will. So I kept my thoughts to myself, till now.

4 comments:

Mr. E said...

It's bad enough we can't use automobile time to talk to our kids or family, but to everyone zoned out with movie. I thought talking on cell-phones were distracting!

Anonymous said...

That is crazy! I agree with Mr. E - why not spend time TALKING to your family when you are in the car with them - what an ingenious idea. Ever hear of a "captive audience"? I think modern technology is a wonderful thing but it is getting WAY out of hand. People don't even know how to connect with other humans anymore because they are so wrapped up in their cell phone & blackberry & other stuff. It is just nuts!

*Mas said...

Dude I totally agree with you. I mean there should be a law against it definitely, but going back to cell phones, what really gets up my nose is people who drive flash cars, so can clearly afford a handsfree but still drive holding onto their phone. Thats even with the threat of getting fined and geting 3 points on their license (12 points and you're banned (in theUK))

Mas

Tech Daddy said...

I agree. If they are going to use the cell phone while driving, they should get a hands free headset. It does not have to be one of the fancy wireless Bluetooth, wired headsets are very affordable.