Saturday, August 4, 2007

One Small Step

This afternoon, as I was taking my siesta in the basement, I was playing with Ellie. At one point I sat Ellie on a small pillow next to me, like a little chair. She seemed really pleased about that. And then she stood straight up. I applauded, saying "Yeah". She smiled and proceeded to do it several times. Sometimes she would spring up so forcefully that she would fly forward and do a belly flop. Sometimes she would just go straight to the belly flop. Always with smiles and giggles, and me applauding.

And then it happened. She stood up and took one small step before collapsing to the floor. I applauded and cheered louder. Then she did it again, this time taking two small steps. At this point, I called for Stephanie to come down stairs and see the fun. Stephanie, upon seeing what was taking placed, raced to grab the video camera.

She attempted to turn on the camera, only to find that the battery was dead. She tried the second battery, but it was dead as well. So she had to pull out the cord and plug it in. All the while, Ellie was doing her stand up routine (groan). Once the camera was up and running, we did manage to capture her taking one step. We would probably have gotten more if the environment had stayed the same. It did not.

Upon the appearance of the video camera, the boys decided it was show time and since the camera was trained on Ellie, the stage was right in front of Ellie. The video evidence will show a lot of dad pulling boys from out in front of Ellie to try and give her room to do her thing.

[Side bar]
I got to post about this before Stephanie. Yesss!
[/Side bar]

No comments: