Saturday, August 4, 2007

Sweating Profusely

It's hot today for New England. It's hit 90 or 91. I went out to mow the backyard (one of those recurring tasks I lamented about previously) after breakfast and giving Ben a bath. Which on this Saturday means around 11:00 a.m.

After picking up the innumerable toys scattered around the yard, I got distracted by the need to trim some branches and vines that were encroaching our property over the fences from neighbors' yards. This led to trimming back a bush that will be in the way when our next door neighbor replaces the fence between our yards (something he has said he was going to do since May). Stephanie and I never really liked the bush, except for the two weeks of the year when it blooms with pretty white flowers. I was planning on getting rid of the bush, but hadn't planned on doing it today.

However, since I was trimming it anyway, I decided to go ahead and cut it down. Of course, I had already broken into a sweat when I was just picking up toys. By now, I was drenched. I did have a water bottle with me to try to keep dehydration at bay. But it was a losing battle. I was sweating more than I could drink.

[Side bar]
About a month ago I installed an exhaust fan in our main bathroom. This required extensive time in the attic. The sweat factor in the attic was at least double as it was today in the backyard. I only had to climb up through the access hole and within about two seconds I would be sweating.
[/Side bar]

Then I trimmed the branches on another bush whose lower limbs have annoyed me for quite a while when I attempt to mow under them. No, I did not cut that bush down, but my mowing annoyance should be taken care of.

I hauled all of the branches and trimmings to the front of the house and placed them in the back of my pickup. Then it was lunch time. I downed two large glasses of cold water. I ate my left over chicken chipotle fajita from our jaunt to On the Border last night (it's one of our favorite restaurants; it opened this past spring). My shirt was so wet that when I picked up Will to carry him to the kitchen, he kind of recoiled in disgust and asked to be put down.

Then I took the yard waste down to the city's recycling center, unloaded it and then shoveled humus into one of the garbage cans I had with me. This is to fill the hole that will be left when I dig out the bush's stump. Again, I was drenched in sweat.

After coming home, I grabbed a glass of sweet iced tea and have now retreated to the coolness of the basement. I decided it was prudent to take a siesta during the hottest part of the afternoon. A little later, I'll go back out and actually mow the back yard. Then I'll let the boys attempt to help me as I dig up the bush stump. I'm sure I'll be perspiring once again.

Oh well, I'll enjoy my iced tea and cool air for now.

No comments: