Monday, August 20, 2007

We Shall Not Perish

This morning, Will joined Ben and I for my quiet time (I blogged about my quiet time buddy previously). I'm working on memorizing John 10:27-30, so I was saying it out loud.

"27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one." John 10:27-30

When I had just passed the word "perish", Will interrupted and said, "That's just like the other verse, the one we learned." The verse he was talking about is John 3:16. Stephanie has been working with the boys to begin memorizing Scripture and, of course, started with John 3:16. They have both done very well and have memorized it quickly.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." John 3:16

Will had connected the two words "perish" in the two passages. I was so proud of him. I then proceeded to tell the boys how John 3:16 talks about the offer of the gift of salvation and the results of receiving that gift, and how John 10:27-30 is concerning those who have accepted that gift of salvation and confirms the results of receiving the gift - we shall not perish but have eternal life.

1 comment:

Mr. E said...

What a great gift it is...eternal life. Wow!!! To worship God without ever getting tired, just seems so great for me. Keep up the Bible Study times. I'm glad your family is starting to join you. I am still trying to get my son to join my wife and I, but I don't want to push him into it. I'm not worried though God will guide him.