Saturday, July 28, 2007

Pancakes - A Family Tradition

We have a family tradition. Almost every weekend I make pancakes for the family. Usually it's on a Saturday morning, but it could be in the evening and on a Sunday. This goes back to a family tradition when I was growing up. Every Sunday morning my dad would make us waffles.

We have a waffle maker given to us by some friends who never used the one they received as a wedding gift. It makes only one small round waffle at a time. Once in a great while, I'll break it out and we'll have waffles, but pancakes are much quicker, so that's what we do.

I fix two kinds of pancakes on a two burner griddle that my parents got us. A small set of plain ones for myself and my 11 month daughter Ellie. The rest of them I make with chocolate chips. My wife and my boys love them, and I'm sure Ellie will too once she's old enough. I put a couple of the chocolate chips pancakes in with my plain ones. This sweetens things up, but not too much, as I found it to be, eating only chocolate chip pancakes.

It's a family tradition that we all like and one I hope my children pass on to their children.

No comments: