Friday, July 27, 2007

Among the 19%

My family is among the 19%. Nineteen percent of what you ask? That would be 19% of Americans, the 19% that rely on over-the-air broadcasts rather than cable or satellite TV. And, if everything goes as planned, on February 19, 2009, unless we buy a HDTV or a HD set top box, we are out of luck. That's when the current analog broadcasts are scheduled to cease. That's right, go away with no return. We've had the same 19 inch, mono audio, color TV for 10 years. It serves our needs, though not my wants :).

I would love to get a new HDTV and a surround sound system. But, we are on a fairly disciplined drive to get out of debt and save money. We are following the Dave Ramsey seven baby step plan. So, no splurges are allowed :(. I do have to say though, it's great to have a budget and common financial goals that both my wife and I agree on. That way we both know what we can and cannot spend, and on what. It makes life and marriage go a lot smoother.

No comments: