Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Lawns, Laundry and Dishes

Three of the many things as an adult and a homeowner that will always need to be done. You feel kind of like a rat on an exercise wheel. You mow the lawn, you do the laundry and you do the dishes (and if you don't have an automatic dish washer like us, you do them by hand), and then you get to do them all over again. Until you die, get wealthy enough to pay someone to do these tasks, or move into a full care facility, this is what you have to look forward to year in, year out.

For us, dishes happen at least twice a day. Laundry is several times a week. Mowing the lawn is once every two weeks. Gratefully, my wife takes care of most of the dish washing and laundry. I take care of all of the lawn mowing.

I mowed the front yard this evening after supper. My wife is in the kitchen doing the dishes right now and there is a pile of clean laundry on our bed that needs folding and putting away.

Now I don't want this to be just a negative post - though it reflects my thoughts as I was mowing the grass. I'm grateful that we have a house with a lawn that needs mowing, that we eat three good meals a day on nice dishes that need washing and have enough clothes to require doing laundry once or twice a week. It is so easy to forget how blessed we are. God has provided so much. He promises to provide for our needs, but He has provided above and beyond just our needs. He is generous.

1 comment:

Stephanie Kay said...

When can I move into that full care facility?