Monday, July 23, 2007

Choosing a Title

My wife, Stephanie, recently started blogging and has been very successful at it (in my opinion - see Stephanie's Mommy Brain). So I decided to give it a shot. I'm a computer programmer, so when I was trying to come up with a title, the first thing I thought of was "Random Bits and Bytes". I was very pleased with myself and thought I was quite clever. Well, it turns out that someone else is clever - that was taken. So was "Random Bits" and "Random Bytes".

So I thought about what I was trying to communicate with the word random. Basically it was an indication that these probably would not be ordered thoughts, just a kind of brain dump about life. So I tried to think of a synonym. I came up with wandering, but was not completely satisfied with that. So I used the Merriam Webster online thesaurus to look up synonyms to wandering. One of them was ramble. "That's it.", I decided. So I tried "Rambling Bits and Bytes" - it was available. And so this blog received is title.

No comments: