Saturday, February 23, 2008

The "No TV" Journey

This post is in response to a comment by Mr. E. This is an update on my family's journey into the strange and unknown land of "No TV". You can read the first two chapters here and here.

To answer the most obvious question first, yes, we still do not have a TV and have no plans to get one. We, however, are not completely lacking in media entertainment. Our laptop has a DVD drive in it and on an occasion, we will put on a DVD for the kids and on even rarer occasions, put one on for us.

Me eldest, Will, still has completed the TV withdrawal process in that he has accepted that we don't have a TV. However, he has not completed the canned entertainment withdrawal process. He asks weekly to watch something on the afore mentioned laptop.

As for me, I cannot imagine still having a TV. When would I find the time to watch it and get the other stuff I do now done (and still get any sleep)? I have enough stuff keeping me busy that I've pretty much relegated blogging to a weekend-only activity. The down-side of that is that I now have either lots to blog about, lots of reading on others' blogs to do, or both. Which is why I'm typing this blog at 11:30 p.m. on a Saturday night.

From the spiritual aspect, I know having no TV has definitely helped keep a lot of worldly influence out of my mind. Not that I don't have to deal with that in my day-to-day life, but it's not adding to load - less of my day is spent exposed to that. It has been a very good thing to do.

For those who wonder how they are going to keep up with current events, there's such things as reading the news! While I don't read a physical newspaper, I do go to new web sites a lot. While I may miss some things, the major ones I see. And who needs to keep up with the current events of the entertainment industry and its celebrities? You don't need Entertainment Tonight or other such shows. Also, if you are truly a die hard fan of a TV show and cannot live with the thought of giving it up, there are a couple of options: 1) most of the networks have their major shows on-line after they air, or 2) wait for the DVD of the season to come out.

For those who have game consoles, I say try board games, card games or reading. You can have a lot of fun without the electronics.

So, for those like Mr. E who are considering having no TV, I heartily say, "Do it. It's worth the sacrifice." In fact, after the crying and gnashing of teeth has stopped and the feeling of isolation has subsided, you will probably discover, as I have, it's not really a sacrifice but a blessing.

2 comments:

Mr. E said...

My wife is concerned that getting rid of the TV, (esp. video games) will take away a needed way to help him socialize with his friends at school. Other than some religious talk and band, video games is one of the few ways he connects with his friends. He is not a big fella for a 7th Grader and he is not very athletic. I guess we could cancel DISH Network and keep the DVD player and Video Games. We monitor the games he plays carefully.

Anonymous said...

I want to tell you that encouraged by your testimony, I have done something I've been considering doing for years but never could quite take the leap, except for brief periods--that is give up reading fiction. (I've now taken to reading Dad's supposedly non-fiction books though and some of them have a lot of fiction in them I've decided.) Anyway, like you I've been blessed and haven't missed my novels at all. Bless you.

Love, Mom