Monday, February 4, 2008

Header: WIP

As you have probably noticed, I'm playing with my header. This is not the planned final state. In fact, I have no real plans other than to see what I can do.

It's not as easy as all the articles I have read say it should be. There was no "width" for the header specified in my template. So I had to guess. I was a little off. When I used the built in function to put my image as a header instead of the title and description, it was off center, with the old header image still in view behind it. So I had to comment out some pieces of the CSS code, add a reference to my tile background and modify some of the padding values to get it as centered as it is, without the old header image showing up.

I used the GIMP program to create the header image. I saved it to a jpeg format but that does not look as nice (i.e. image quality not artistic quality) on the blog page as it does in GIMP. So I may try saving it as a different format. I don't think that the browser would be able to handle the default image type for the GIMP, but I may be wrong. I've got to figure out if it has a spell checker because I obviously need one.

Stay tuned, it may get worse before it gets better, or goes back to the default.

P.S. By the way, for those who don't know, WIP stands for Work In Progress.

3 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

For Linda: when he starts talking computer-ese I hear the teacher's voice in Charlie Brown saying, "Waa, waaaa, waaaa."

Said with much love. = )

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Steph! Thanks for explaining WIP, but I have to admit I didn't understand much else in this post. I am afraid I don't speak computer-ese. I get that you are playing with the look of the blog but the rest was gibberish to me. : )

I do like the new background - it gives the page a bit of texture - that is cool. Since you are Tech Daddy, should we have some high expectations for what you will do? Not trying to put the pressure on - just felt like giving you a hard time (Mike doesn't get to check the blog very often, so I have to try to make up for that).

Tech Daddy said...

Thanks Dawn. I don't know about the high expectations. I'm good with technical stuff but it's the creative stuff that I have problems with.

You do a pretty good job of giving me a hard time in Mike's place. But you should tell him to come by once a month. :-)