Sunday, February 24, 2008

Scriptural Follow Up

I realized that I did not mention an important part of the "No TV" journey I posted about yesterday. That part is the Scriptures God has used during the journey to keep me focused and to keep me from turning back.

The first one that He has often brought to mind is Romans 12:2 (NIV):

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will."
There are two commands in this verse: 1) stop being conformed to the pattern of this world (i.e. stop eating the garbage of the world) and 2) continually be transformed through the renewing of your mind for the purpose of testing and approving (confirming rather than giving approval to) what God's will is (i.e. feast yourself on the rich, healthy food God serves at His banqueting table). For my journey, getting rid of the TV falls under part 1. You cannot just eliminate part 1 and not implement part 2. That would leave a vacuum in your life that would eventually get filled and if you're not intentional about it, it will not be filled with Godly things. For me, part 2 has been reading good books, listening to good messages/sermons on CD and hosting a Bible Study in our home.

The second Scripture is Romans 6:11-14 (NIV):
"11In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness. 14For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace."
Verse 11 is the one that most often comes to mind as I have to continually die to myself. See Luke 9:23-24 to see what Jesus says about dying to yourself. For me, it has been easier to count myself dead to sin if I am not exposing myself to the temptations of sin. On the converse side, counting myself alive to God is easier if I am intentionally participating in activities that glorify and honor God.

Below are some additional Scriptures that God has also used in this journey. Any emphasis is mine. All these are from the NIV. I think it's fairly easy to see how these can apply to not watching TV.
James 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."

Matthew 6:33 "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

No comments: