Wednesday, September 12, 2007

There's Life In These Old Bones Yet

2 Kings 13:20-21
"20 Elisha died and was buried. Now Moabite raiders used to enter the country every spring. 21 Once while some Israelites were burying a man, suddenly they saw a band of raiders; so they threw the man's body into Elisha's tomb. When the body touched Elisha's bones, the man came to life and stood up on his feet."

This passage was part of my Bible reading today. It's a fun story. I don't believe that there was anything supernatural about Elisha's bones. There was no power in them. I think they were plain old bones. No, I believe that the God I serve is a God with a sense of humor, and He probably got a good laugh out of doing this.

Update 09/14/07: I had a thought yesterday that I would like to share. Do you think the people in that area tried to duplicate this miracle again? Do you think the next person who died, that they carried them over to Elisha's tomb and put them on top of the bones, hoping that they would live once again? I think I might have tried it if I had been there.

1 comment:

Mr. E said...

God does have a great sense of humor! When the Israelites complained about eating only manna, God gave them quail and they ate so much of it, it was "coming out their noses." Awesome Grossness, my son would say. Also check out my new blog on the Hubble Telescope Photos.