Monday, January 7, 2008

Oral Update, 01/07/2008

So I went to the oral surgeon today, expecting that he would take one look at the newly forming fistula and declare that an extraction was necessary. To my surprise, he did not.

He did take a pair of scissors and cut off the new fistula, squeezing all of the liquid out from within the gums to check for any signs of infection, such as pus. (Have those with weak stomachs rejoined us after a trip to the nearest receptacle?) He tested the tooth and it was solid. He does not want to give up on it yet. Since there is no infection visible and the tooth is not moving around (a sign of infection), he's given me another prescription of antibiotics for the next week. I will see him next Monday. He said that he removed quite a bit of material in the operation and so these fluids are probably just bodily fluids pooling in the hole until the body fully heals and fills it (my layman's summary of what he told me). He had put in two gel packs to try to fill the gap to help the healing occur quicker.

If another fistula has come up as big as this last one, he says the tooth will have to come out. I was instructed to do a mouth rinse (salt and water or peroxide and water) and to feel free to try to push against that area to try and squeeze liquid out. Believe me, I will in order to try to keep my tooth. He said that if it came to an extraction, I would be knocked out again because he would have to break the tooth and cut out the roots - oh yeah.

For those with stronger stomachs who made it this far, I would appreciate prayer. While this is not a life threatening condition, I sure would like not to have to have the tooth pulled, the recovery and then having to go through the process of getting it replaced (it's a middle molar and primary to the grinding of my food, which I like to eat). Thanks.

4 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

Ewwww. Eeeewwwwwww. Ewwwwwww.

Amy said...

We're praying. Thanks for all the "details"...no snack for me tonight!

Anonymous said...

Double uuuugggh! So sorry it's still giving you problems. We'll be praying for a real improvement this week.

Love, Mom and Dad

Scott said...

I love me a good blog post mentioning "pus."

Way to go.
And congrats on keeping your tooth. Hope it gets to stay a long, long time.

(I can't help picturing a Sesame Street character named "Count Fistula.")