Friday, October 12, 2007

Oct. 12, 2007 Update

Here's the latest news from me, in no particular order.
  • Last night it was raining and the electricity went off for a few hours. Thank goodness that was after the kids were in bed and asleep.
  • Last Saturday, I worked on repairing some deteriorating wood between the eve and the gutter on one section at the front of the house. It's been raining a lot this week, so I'm glad I got it done. Now I just need a couple of dry days this weekend so I can paint the replacement wood.
  • We've not caught any more mice in the garage since the first one. See my wife's post and picture about that.
  • We went clothes shopping at Sears tonight (Lands End). I bought a shirt and two pairs of khakis. The boys each got new, matching, sweaters, and will got some new pants. Stephanie has said she is going to look on-line and see if she can find a matching sweater in my size.
  • The kids and I have been using blankets to make 1) a tent, 2) a restaurant and 3) a church in their rooms, on three separate evenings.
  • We went apple picking with our church on Columbus day and came home with 15+ pounds of apples. We had a good time. The kids ate a number of apples as we wondered the orchid. Stephanie made home-made apple pie from some of the apples. YUM! There's none left now.
  • Last Friday night, I went bowling with seven other guys and our pastor from church. This was the first of a series "How to be a man" that our pastor has planned for the younger men (college and twenty-somethings). We had a great time bowling. I even had the only turkey (three strikes in a row) of the group. Despite that, I was not the highest scorer. My team lost, averaged out, by 15 points, so we had to do 15 push-ups (just a competitive guy thing). After the fun was done, our pastor talked about having spiritual goals, using bowling as an illustration. If you want to get better, mature, then you have to put time into it. I shared with them what some of my spiritual goals are.
  • It's getting cooler here. We've put a blanket on the bed today. I wear a light jacket to and from work everyday now. For those who don't know me, I don't like the cold. The leaves are pretty when they change colors, but they are such a pain to rake when they fall off of the tree in the back yard. The days are getting shorter. Not too much longer and I will be going to and coming back from work in the dark. For me, that's one of the worst aspects of winter (other then the incessant cold). At least my cube at work is beside the windows, so I will get some sun while I'm working. I am grateful that God has provided us with a house with central heat that works and warm clothes to wear.

No comments: