Sunday, November 30, 2008

Blog Glob, 11/30/2008

  • A couple of weeks ago, it was raining when I left work, walking out to get in my truck. Naturally, I had the umbrella up to keep me as dry as possible. Well, I as I climbed into the driver's seat, holding the umbrella in my left hand, I must have been distracted because I reached over with my right hand a closed the door. As it was closing, the thought crossed my mind that this was not a smart thing to do, as I was still holding the umbrella. Before I could react to the thought, the door closed on the shaft of the umbrella. Imagine my surprise and slight shock, when, instead of the door just stopping, I saw the top of the umbrella fall to the parking lot outside the door. The door had sheared the shaft clean in two, it was not even mashed.
DCFC0035
  • On the 21st was my wife's birthday. Happy Birthday honey! We had two families over to help celebrate with us. Mike and Dawn we've known for almost 11 years. They are native Rhode Islanders who went to the church we decided to attend. They initiated the relationship, for which we are very grateful, as we did not know a soul up here. About a year after we arrived in Rhode Island, Andy and Amy arrived and came to our church. We decided to pass on the same favor that Mike and Dawn had done for us, and immediately invited them for lunch. So we've been friends with them for over 10 years. Now each of those couples has one or more children. It was good to get together with friends.
  • I went with my friend Andy on the 22nd to see Quantum of Solace. It was a good movie but not great. A lot of action, as to be expected.
  • There has been quite a bit of leaf raking around here. Except for the carting off of the leaves, I finally finished the backyard yesterday. Most of it had been done a few weeks ago, with a big pile made in the middle of the yard by the climber so that the kids could jump in it. Finishing up meant moving the big pile over to the corner of the yard where it will be loaded into the back of the pick up and raking up the leaves that had fallen since the first round of raking.
  • Ellie was sick for a few days. Thankfully it was short lived and the only major symptoms were being warm (low grade fever) and being cranky. As she even told me today, several days after fully recovering, "I feel beher".
  • On Saturday we set up the Christmas tree. The kids, but Ben especially, were excited about this. He's so fun when he's excited - it makes me want to give him whatever he wants.
  • Recently, since I was nearly out of wood glue, I purchased some Gorilla Glue (the all purpose, not the wood glue), as I've heard a number of good things about it. So far, so good. I've repaired a children's chair which had suffered from over enthusiastic users - the back had fallen off and a leg dangling. It's held up for a few days now.
  • I'm back at work full time now. I had gotten use to the half days from home. I'm missing the additional time with my family.
  • I'm reading through two books right now. I'll post reviews when I'm done.

1 comment:

Wherever HE Leads We'll Go said...

You passed on our favor by befriending Amy & Andy. Well, we have copied you in a similar way. Since we moved to KY, we try to host Thanksgiving (and Easter usually) for those that are separated from family. We have really enjoyed it.

It is nice to get good ideas from friends! : )