Saturday, March 7, 2009

I've Got This Song Under My Skin

This afternoon, during the kids' nap time, I watched the Do-Re-Me YouTube video I had posted about way back when (though that video has been taken down now, but here's the link to another one of it). After doing that, I started watching other songs from that era. As I did, I noticed that I was seeing several singers who had sung "I've Got You Under My Skin". I decided to do a post with collection of some of them and ask for opinions on who you think does the best job. Some of these are big names and some are unknowns. The two loose criterion I had were that the videos be of the performers singing the song and that they did not totally butcher the song.

1. First up is the singer whom many consider to have set the gold standard for this song, Frank Sinatra.



2. Bobby Darin



3. Michael Buble



4. Katharine McPhee



5. Steve Lawrence



6. Boris Titulaer



7. Sammy Davis Jr.: The video does not allow embedding, so follow this link. Also, this video has two songs, with "I've got you under my skin" being the second one.

8. Josh Dubovie



9. Briana Phares



10. Udo (unfortunately the video cuts off before the end of the song)



So, who's your top pick?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A whole bunch of guys and Katharine McPhee and you want me to choose...

You can argue forever over who has the best voice or phrasing or is most jazzy or most original or any other criteria but for sheer beauty and stage presence I'll Go with Katharine McPhee. And props to Chris Botti for allowing her to shine and not making it all about him.

Unknown said...

I absolutely love the modern sensibility Buble and McPhee bring to the song, and Sinatra is just classic. But I have a weakness for the female voices, and Katharine McPhee's voice is just so smooth and sexy and pure. She almost caresses the lyrics. Very pleasant!

Anonymous said...

The videos are hard to play out here. Most of them stop and start, however, Dad and I vote for Katherine. I also liked what I heard of Bobby Darin because at least he was a bit different.

Mom

Briana Phares said...

hey! i just searched my name and found myself on your blog (Briana Phares - Under My Skin)! I just wanted to say thanks, you totally made my day! I hope you check out some more of my vids on youtube tho, cuz this just really wasn't one of my best. LoL! Thanks again!