Sunday, September 21, 2008

Second Annual Backyard Camping

On Friday, the boys and I had our second annual backyard camp. Here's the link for the first annual backyard camp. After I arrived home and changed clothes, we proceeded to set up the tent. Since the tent we have is a small two-person tent and was cramped last year, I borrowed a larger tent from some friends.

After supper, we lit a small fire in an old charcoal grill we have. We brought out the marshmallows, graham crackers and chocolate bars, and fixed ourselves some good s'mores. The boys played with flash lights for a bit and gathered sticks to throw onto the fire. Then it was into the house to brush teeth, put on pajamas, go potty and read the Bible.

Since we were only camping in the backyard, as a special treat for the boys, I ran an extension cord out to the tent and we watched one of the boys' videos on the laptop. Once the video was done, so were we. We all snuggled into our sleeping bags. For the boys I had brought out a large seat cushion each to sleep on. I slept on two thin camping pads. That was more than I had last year, but still was not that comfortable. If we start doing this a lot, I may have to look into either an air mattress or a camping cot. Anyway, we slept away the night, undisturbed by any night critters, unlike last year.

Around seven a.m., Ben wakes up, sits up and declares, "It's morning." I told him yes, it was, but that it was not time to get up yet - it had gotten quite cool (around 40) during the night and I was all snugged in my sleeping bag. That lasted about thirty minutes until Will declared that he had to pee, at which time we donned our sweatshirts and shoes, and headed indoors.

The boys really had a good time and so did I, despite the few aches I came away with :-).

DCFC0006
Setting up the tent.

DCFC0033
Will, Ben and Ellie in front of the tent.

DCFC0046
Around the camp fire.

DCFC0050
Will in his sleeping bag.

DCFC0051
Ben in his sleeping bag.


Here's a link to the post my wife did on the camp out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You get my nomination for "Super Dad" award again. Sounds like a successful campout to me, although I think having the critters come visit would have made it more of an adventure for you all.

Mom