Sunday, March 2, 2008

Welcome to the Hallowed Halls of Man-dom

Scott, over at Honey, I Fed The Kids!, is hosting a "Tour of Scary Garages", including a Mister Linky (who is this character anyway?), in which he invites men to publicly share pictures of their kingdoms (man-doms as I always say, er... just started saying for this post), a.k.a garages, which they have long held dear and private, sequestered from public scrutiny for many long ages, now to be examined by unknown strangers in the world wide web, potentially to be ridiculed and made fun of, or to be pitied, or to be congratulated by like-minded macho men, requiring the sucker who posted the pictures to come out of his shell and risk being shown to be the messy that he is, thereby possibly requiring years of therapy, or ten gallons of vanilla fudge swirl ice cream, which ever is preferable, (yes, I am going for the record of the longest run-on sentence in a blog with the most random links in it), though it is possible that after displaying the chaotic state in which their domain exists, some of the other men may be shamed into cleaning up, which I'm sure is what the stuff of dreams are made of for their wives, but I'm not sure why they would want to do that unless it is to be able to find one of the many items that garages are useful for storing, such as hand tools, wood, fasteners, power tools, rodents, spare parts (i.e. broken things), paint, sand bags, lawn furniture, a swimming pool, insulation, umbrellas, tables, toys, flammable substances (see if you can identify which of these items are in the pictures below), tarps, implements of destruction, dirt, grass clippings, rarely used yard maintenance equipment, and various persuasions of used cloth (i.e. rags) - all residing in one of the few places a man can really rule over - the man-dom (come on, you know you like that catchy new word) that is his garage! (Whew! I'm tired - I kinda ran out of steam on the whole crazy link thingy)

Now, without further blathering, I humbly submit my pictorial presentation of my scary garage (warning, the images below should not be viewed by the faint of heart, such as those with extreme OCD personalities - unless you want to volunteer to come over and organize it, with the agreement that you will throw nothing away without my express approval).


This is looking in from the side door.

This is looking towards the front of the garage from the side door.

Notice the propane tank (sitting on top of dry wood) and the broken faucet which I thought I would try to fix, but yeah, that's not going to happen. Maybe I could do some kind of MacGuyver thing and use the faucet and the propane tank to make a flame thrower!?

This is looking in from the front of the garage. We've only parked the car in here one time in the five years we've been here - I think it was in the first week that we owned the house.

Our church meets in a hotel conference room, so we help store some of the tables and chairs for the church, used for church fellowships and other gatherings.

My table saw, scrap wood basket and sand bags to add weight to my rear wheel drive pick up during winter.

Not enough room in the garage for the wheel barrows to go in side by side.

Toys, tables, rooftop carrier and a compound miter saw (if I could get to it to use it).

Stuff. 'Nuff said.

Even the rafters are being used!

The most organized part of the garage.

The latest victim to succumb to the lure of peanut butter. I noticed it a week or so ago when I popped in to grab something. Who knows how long it was there before that. Since it's winter, I just left it - I figured it would keep =)? I did remove him yesterday after taking the picture.

4 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

What?! A flame thrower?!!!!

Any OCD personality is welcome to come by and clean during the day while Joel is gone. You have my permission to dispose of articles, as long as you remove them from the premises so he can't retrieve the items.

For the record for all my friends looking at this shameful display: the garage is Joel's. I try not to go in there. I've long since given up hope of it being organized. Sadly, he has a portion of our basement that looks very similar.

For you wives in a similar situation I suggest reading "When You Live with a Messie" by Sandra Felton. = )

After 10 years of marriage I've accepted this personality quirk in the man I love... but just know the days for that garage are numbered! I will make it out there one day. And then the tiki torches we were "gifted" with (thanks, Mike!) but have never used in FIVE YEARS will find new owners to appreciate their glow.

Stephanie Kay said...

I have looked at each crazy and bizarre link. Here are some observations:

1. You clearly have too much time on your hands and I need to increase your "honey-do" list.

2. You've cracked.

3. You have to give a man credit who can link to Frank Sinatra, Mary Poppins, The Village People, the longest ear hair and the longest tongue all in one post.

4. You have cracked.

5. We've got to get you out of the house more often. Or develop a list of constructive uses for your time. See # 1 above.

love, me

Scott said...

God bless you.
God bless your garage.
The mouse was a really nice touch.

I am so jealous of how accessible YOUR miter saw is compared to mine. I might need to come over and use it sometime.

Also, I'm a little concered about the pool in the rafters. Seems unsafe for children.

But thank you for sharing your garage. I can't wait for my wife to see it!! Mine's looking better every day.

Amy said...

Well, I might fit into the OCD category comparitively, but I am NOT offering to come organize for you! :) I'm thinking you're breathing a sigh of relief right now! So funny...and Stephanie's comments are great, too!